Thus spake John F. Kennison circa 10/07/2008 06:32 PM:
> I see your
> interpretation of Wittgenstein's statements as his way of saying that
> mathematical argument does not do a good or reliable job of
> establishing truth.  Am I characterizing your position correctly?

Well, I think W. was arguing against Platonism in mathematics.  That's
subtly different from saying that math argument does not do a good or
reliable job of establishing "truth" (i.e. reality)[*].  But, basically,
yes.  I think if pressed, W. would agree with your statement.  He would
actually go far far beyond your statement and say that math is a
pathological perversion of thought.  Indeed, it is a dangerous and
misleading perversion (though it may be effective in highly skilled
hands).  The point W was trying to make was that to fixate on math and
elevate it to science is a grave mistake.  Doing so will prevent you
from learning how the world really works.

To be clear, my position is different from W's.  I think math is related
to reality because we (biological animals) invented math as a way to
help us navigate the world.  I think there are both evolutionary and
psychological justifications for the relationship between reality and math.

[*] We have to be careful to distinguish between the validity of a
statement and the soundness of a statement.  Validity has to do with
whether or not a statement is mathematically well-formed.  If it is (and
if the language is complete), then it is either true or false.  But just
because a statement is true doesn't mean it's sound ... i.e. backed up
by data taken from reality.