I have just now skimmed through the why so close discussion and would like to
point out that the neo-conservative movement in the mid 1980s hired many
think tanks, e.g. Rand,   to establish a strategy with appropriate tactics for
running campaigns, gaining power and changing laws and regs to hold onto power.

Lee Atwater then Karl Rove were the main point persons for this strategy.
The Republican party was organized using corporate methodology (and money) and
IT, while the Dems who relied on older grassroots, sloppy organizational
techniques.

Also as Orlando and some others have pointed out racism is still a motivation
in the US along with greed and fear to which the Rs have very successfully
and subtly appealed.

And of course the media which is virtually controlled by a couple of dozen
powerful people and organizations has only served to dumb down the population.

De Toqueville in the 19th century understood all this.

Just my rather inane thoughts with hopes that McCain and Palin don't make it.

Paul