Hola:

The methods that the US political culture uses to discourage political involvement extend beyond merely fear mongering and wrecking the public educational system.

Billions of dollars are spent every year to distract the public and degrade the quality of public discourse.

The more well-known election-debasement techniques also include erecting barriers to voter registration and making the act of voting confusing and cumbersome.

BTW, IMHO most of the Democratic Party leadership is almost as guilty (and much more hypocritical) as the Republican Party leadership regarding the implementation of the aforementioned practices. Richard Nixon was to the left of Bill Clinton on most major issues.

--   Pat