On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Owen Densmore wrote:

I'm writing a script that I realize might be useful for friends, and that got me to wondering: what scripting languages are most universally available?

So, you can help: which of these languages are available on your computer?
 Bash/Borne Shell
 Awk
 Perl
 Python/Jython
 Ruby/irb
 Javascript (i.e. a command-line version like Rhino)
 Groovy
 BeanShell/PNuts (java interpreters with nifty add on features)
.. suggestions?

All current Macs running OS X 10.5.x should have GNU Bash 3.2.17 (1), Awk ver. 20040207, Perl 5.8.8, Ruby 1.8.6, and Python 2.5.1 by default (this iMac does and every Mac I've checked running 10.5.x). I think all Linux versions will have Bash, Awk, Python by default.

Bash, Awk/Sed, Perl and Python are all common, Ruby's usually an easy package install under most Linux distros.

Personally (just my opinion) I think Python lends itself to order more so than PERL, but I'm sure there are more experienced programmers who might not agree. I think Bash is frequently underrated....one can do a lot with the shell if one knows how and is willing to do a bit of work. There's a great "Shell Scripting Recipes" book by Chris Johnson, along with the Robbins/Beebe book by O'Reilly and a number of other good ones.

-Nick
Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508