Thus spake Steve Smith circa 29/12/08 11:21 AM:
> One mode of this that you might not be taking into account is "the
> Trickster". Most (all?) cultures have a disruptive element/character
> in their mythology whose role is to disrupt the standard patterns.
> A random heating factor in  the annealing process, or injecting noise
>  into a gradient descent algorithm to escape local minima.   I don't
> always appreciate/value the Trickster.   Doug is often playing
> "Trickster" opposite Owen's role as "Prometheus"?

The trouble is that when the Trickster is, himself, tricked, it may take
some time for the realization to land.  Not that I know anything about
that, mind you ... I'm just yapping ... [grin]

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com