There's a popular novel on much the same scenario, but in this case it's
about a poem that is fatal if distributed.   "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk
My son devoured it of course.

Phil Henshaw

From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Russ Abbott
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 1:36 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] What to do with knowledge

The issue of what to do with knowledge is certainly not an easy one to
resolve.

Let's assume that you discovered that human beings were built in such a way
that a certain kind of virus would wipe most of us out.  Let's also assume
that you were the only one who knew that.  What would you do?

Would you attempt to destroy that knowledge knowing how potentially deadly
it is? If you did that, how would feel if a nihilistically inclined
sociopath discovered the same thing a year later and set off the deadly
viral chain reaction?  Perhaps if you had informed someone and started to
work on a defense, we would not have been so vulnerable to what turned out
to be a surprise attack.

On the other hand, if you had informed people, perhaps the word would have
gotten out and triggered a biological arms race.

I'm not claiming there are easy answers to  these questions.  But I do think
it's important not to deny the nature of the universe.  The premise of my
thought experiment was that we were built with a certain kind of
vulnerability. Not knowing about it is not necessarily the best way to
proceed. But knowing about it may be dangerous as well.  Sometimes there are
no good options. But it is not an option simply to wish that the world were
different. (Of course it is an option, but it doesn't make the world
different.)

The same probably holds for nuclear weapons. Whether or not "science"
discovered that matter could be converted into energy in what could be very
destructive ways, the fact is that matter can be converted into energy in
very destructive ways.  It does no good to wish that this weren't the case
or that no one would every find out about it. That's an act of denial about
how the world is. And denial is not a good way to live.

-- Russ