www.synapse9.com/ref/GersickCJG1991RevolutionaryChangeTheories.pdf (500k)
Have any of you heard of the "Academy of Management Review" or Connie JG
Gersick?

She might have called it 'emergence' I think, but seems to have done a great
job of threading together six different theories of change between complex
system equilibriums, punctuated by disequilibrium, which she calls
"revolutionary change".  The familiar ones are the models offered by TS
Kuhn, SJ Gould, and I Prigogine.  She seems to come to the conclusion, yes,
there are discontinuities.   My view has developed as being that, yes, there
are discontinuities, but often observably in the mode of explanation used
and not the physical process.

Does anyone else also see the need to have gaps between modes of explanation
for complex system features as a important reason for using the word
'complex' to describe them?

Phil Henshaw