Steve,

Phil -

This is a very timely reference.  I often find that "Survey" papers,
especially from outside of the field I am working in, but on a subject
overlapping said field can be very illuminating.   They help to provide a
common-sense perspective on the problem... help to remove me from the
"trees" enough to see the "forest", as it were.

[ph] Yes, just my thought, that it seems to be a good survey by a management
science person.  The paper has actually been cited 750 times since it was
published in 91.    Clarifying the forest by getting a good look at separate
kinds of trees is also one of the things I found interesting in writing my
short encyclopedia entry covering all the approaches to complex systems
science and practice.   I may have left out just a few things. of course.
but it did force me to look at the subject from several different time
tested orientations.

Your comment about the discontinuities are

often observably in the mode of explanation used
and not the physical process might be a corollary of Kierkegard's
Life must be understood backwards; but... it must be lived forward.
[ph] Well, that certainly applies to the discontinuity between foresight and
hindsight, when in the one you're looking for choices and in the other
you're only looking for excuses. you might say.  :-)      I'll have to read
Gersick more carefully to understand what she defines as the discontinuity
displayed by "revolutionary change" but what I was thinking was more that
once you see the finished form you suddenly see the whole effect of the
distributed events coming together, that would have been all undeveloped and
incomprehensible before.   Most of them you also would never have seen
before because they were distributed, and so not occurring where you were
looking too, as well as because they were undeveloped as a whole and so
would be naturally meaningless too.     So even if the distributed process
was continuous and developmental, you would necessarily miss most of it
happening, and then be distracted by the false simplicity of hindsight to
boot.

It is my (anecdotal) experience that many people live through, or even
participate in revolutions without realizing it until (long?) after they are
over.  Often the turmoil that is attendant to the "Revolution" is not a new
experience for them, a series of tumultuous periods lead up to it, and it is
only the actual "breaking through" that ultimately marks it as a
"Revolution".   To the extent that that "breaking through" is an emergent
phenomena, it is often not visible at the scale of the individual observer,
especially an observer who is steeped in the old way of experiencing things.

[ph] What that suggested to me was that a parcel of hot air might be locally
experiencing a gradual decrease in air pressure, and not much else, as it
rose along with an air mass as part of a large accumulating column of air
breaking through an inversion layer to become a great erupting cumulus
cloud.    Widely scattered things become unobservably connected is the first
step as far as any part may be concerned.   So for emerging "revolutionary
change"  might it sometimes be that neither the parts nor outside observers
could know about it?

Phil

- Steve

www.synapse9.com/ref/GersickCJG1991RevolutionaryChangeTheories.pdf (500k)
Have any of you heard of the "Academy of Management Review" or Connie JG
Gersick?

She might have called it 'emergence' I think, but seems to have done a great
job of threading together six different theories of change between complex
system equilibriums, punctuated by disequilibrium, which she calls
"revolutionary change".  The familiar ones are the models offered by TS
Kuhn, SJ Gould, and I Prigogine.  She seems to come to the conclusion, yes,
there are discontinuities.   My view has developed as being that, yes, there
are discontinuities, but often observably in the mode of explanation used
and not the physical process.

Does anyone else also see the need to have gaps between modes of explanation
for complex system features as a important reason for using the word
'complex' to describe them?

Phil Henshaw