Well Marcus, isn't that is entirely the point, and why models are unreliable
and need help?

A model invariably represents only a person's belief's about the world.
The physical subject being represented is both fabulously more complex than
any belief system can be, and full of things that are differently organized
and requires it's own language of description.  It's why one needs a
different mode of description for each way of describing what a person is.
It's why science, being one language of description, is incomplete.

In some cases, a common language seems adequate for many subjects, but only
when you are careful to ask the same kind of question of each subject,
consistent with that common language.  To use common terminology for
different things you do need to ignore the discrepancies as insignificant,
though.  As when your economic system collapses because they were not
actually insignificant, that turns out to be an error.  It ends up being
much safer to think of the physical world as complexly changing place
needing many languages of description and close attention, and for science,
to watch the fit of your model to see if discrepancies are developing.

In order to pick up significant errors due to emerging discrepancies, you
need to become aware of what's happening.  One way is to watch closely for
them.  You can also rely on hearsay.  The world is full of independently
evolving systems, each changing it's organization in response to its own
place in the world, in its own way, and developing emergent behaviors as it
does. Lots of systems we share the environment with seem sort of diffuse and
passive, and others rather distinctly individual with strong independent
individual reactions to being interfered with.  There's no 'book' you just
have to watch.

If you're not watching and only wait till you loose your job to know that
you should have been watching, (like a lot of us are at the moment) you're
out of a job.   It's like we were imagining an open road and were driving
along in our car and didn't see the water coming because it wasn't on the
map.
The water coming was real obvious to the people looking out the window who
were repeating saying in increasingly urgent tones "hey there's water
coming".

Am I wrong to be stunned at how difficult it is to get an acknowledgement
here that living in a physical world means that theory is not enough?

Phil Henshaw
NY NY  www.synapse9.com