Thus spake Russ Abbott circa 11/01/09 11:21 PM:
> I think you're agreeing with me. It's the concepts that are important, not
> the equations. To the extent that you can read the equations as statements
> about concepts the equations talk to you. But a computer can read and
> calculate with those same equations without the concepts. The concepts are
> in the mind of the person reading the equations, not in the equations
> themselves.

The truth is that _both_ the formalisms and the concepts are integral to
math.  Equations without concepts is not math and concepts without
automatically transformable sentences (e.g. equations) is not math.  The
same is true with any language, including English.

The point is that math (like science) consists largely of an effort to
formalize things so that we can think (as well as delegate, teach, and
repeat) clearly about those things.  I don't know what the percentage of
artists is who feel themselves in the business of formalizing the
creation of artifacts; but an artist who understands how important
formalization is to large-scale cooperation will have no trouble
understanding the relationship between equations (or, more generally,
automated deduction) and mathematical concepts.

My guess about art is that most people who self identify as artists are
against relying on consensus methods, i.e. art is a very personal thing
both for the artist and the audience.  (Note that I used "personal"
rather than "subjective".)  To rigorize (rigorify?, rigorate?) art is to
remove the art.  But I also guess that each artist (or art lineage) has
a set of, fairly rigorous, methods associated with her (it).  The rigor
may be contained in the fingers instead of in symbols on paper, but the
rigor would be there somewhere for any artist capable of repeating their
work.  (Unless one believes in luck and a "good artist" is just a lucky
person.)

This tacit vs. explicit methodological dichotomy may be the major cause
for incommensurance between any of the more intuitive human activities
(like entrepreneurship, art, scientific speculation) vs. the more
inferential/reasoned activities (like accounting, manufacturing,
falsification), and those people proficient in one but not the other.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com