Thus spake Russ Abbott circa 12/01/09 04:18 PM:
> No doubt both are important. The symbols (and formalisms) keep us honest.
> The concepts, though, are what the symbols are about. By themselves they are
> not about anything.

I disagree.  I think the emphasis on concepts is a peculiar form of
anthropocentrism (or, at worst, narcissism ;-).  An explicit and eminent
objective in both math and science is to make processes explicit so that
those processes can be argued about, falsified, justified, repeated, and
taught.

So, while any particular symbol may be ancillary, the methods of
extracting and symbolizing the peculiar and particular "concepts" in any
given occult process is critical.  Symbolization is not just a necessary
evil.  It is what scientists and mathematicians do for a living.  It's
their job.

For science, this is especially true because the goal is to reify
processes out there in the world, to permanently and consistently remove
the "concepts" peculiar and particular to any one (small collection of)
person(s) and make them available for everyone to play with.

>From that perspective, the symbols (as a tool for externalizing the
internal) are way more important than the concepts.

Looked at from another perspective, the syntax any given person chooses
to represent their concepts has a huge and lasting impact on the
external (somewhat objective) artifacts she creates, e.g. the battle
between Leibniz and Newton.  A more modern example is the Baez and Stay
paper cited by Roger back in August:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/friam@redfish.com/msg04285.html

I don't pretend to understand it; but it seems to me that much of the
unification attempted by that paper revolves around the symbols they're
using to represent the concepts peculiar to each domain.  Further, it's
entirely possible that, although we _think_ the concepts are actually
the _same_ and unifying the domains around monoidal categories may be a
more general "notation" for the same concepts, it's possible that the
instantiation of the common "notation" for all these different concepts
is really just building _consensus_ between the various (peculiar and
particular) minds involved.

I.e. the notation _causes_ the concepts, not vice versa.

I know that's reaching; but, it's at least reasonable that the language
in which we choose to represent something modifies/guides the concepts
in our heads.  And it's a primary goal of math and science to remove the
peculiarities and particularities associated with any single (small
collection of) human(s).

Any attempt to make symbols more or less important than concepts in math
will fail because they are both part of the same thing.  The concepts
are Yin and the symbols are Yang.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com