Jack, Glen,  Thanks for your comments.

I think Jack's position is closer to what I am saying that Glen's.  Although
I'm not sure I understand Glen's perspective, it seems to reverse the roles
of symbols and reality from how I'm understanding those terms.

Jack's position is the model theoretic framework.  Whether or not you think
that framework is useful, at least it offers a fairly well defined way to
understand the way we are using terminology. In that framework, symbols are
not reality; they are opaque. They get meaning only when mapped to a model.

I hesitate to impose on you, but I've written a draft paper that discusses
these issues along with emergence and reduction. It claims that computer
science thinking is grounded and that philosophical thinking isn't. It
attempts to express the argument using model-theoretic language -- even
though I'm not a mathematician or mathematical logician. (I don't make any
use of model theory results, just the terminological framework.) One of the
reasons I claim we (CS) are grounded and the Philosophy isn't is because we
think of reduction differently. We think of reduction constructively; they
think of it, well, reductively.

If any of you have the time and patience to look at the paper, I would
greatly appreciate comments. It's (currently) called "Emergence, reduction,
and concept grounding in philosphy and computer
science.<http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/images/9/90/APA_Newsletter.doc>
." It's only about 5,000 words.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science