Thus spake Nicholas Thompson circa 29/01/09 12:37 PM:
> [...] it all
> boils down to a one-bit decision: either you are going to read the sucker
> or you arent.

Not that I'm argumentative or anything; but it's not just binary.  I
have at least 3 modes of reading: 1) read and integrate, 2) sloppy
reading, and 3) skim.  I do (1) when I want/expect to use the content
for some task.  I do (2) when I merely need to carry some context for
understanding or communicating with others.  And I do (3) when I want to
determine whether I need to do (1) or (2), or when I just want an entry
into some topic.

So, the decision is, at least, quaternary.

And much of which type of reading I do depends on the character of the
publication pathway.  And this is one of the reasons I hate the way /.
and digg work.  For whatever reason, I tend to get the most benefit out
of obscure articles ... perhaps similarly, I seem to get the most
enjoyment out of obscure music.  Homogeny seems to be the enemy.

> If one knows who the reviewers are ... knows their tastes, ete, perhaps
> each consumer could rate reviewers and the program could give a stars by
> reviewer-weighting customized for each consumer.  Software could be
> provided to do this.  Very close to what Amazon provides right now, except
> that each reader could accumulate his own personal judgments of reviewers,
> rather than relying on swarm evaluation.

This is a close approximation to what I'd like, except why approximate
if you can shoot for the ultimate?  If we were to develop a complicated
projection from many to one dimensions, we may find that as difficult as
implementing the multi-dimensional measure right off the bat.  I suppose
there would be marketing reasons... a competent funder might demand we
start accumulating users immediately via a reducing projection and build
out the multi-dimensional rating interface over time.

> I forgot to say:  Let's say the journal has an editorial board that rates
> and comments on articles as they are submitted.   Let;s say we start a
> journal called THE FRIAM JOURNAL OF APPLIED COMPLEXITY.  Every article is
> sent out to five reviewers.   So now we have a possiblity of 25 stars, say.
> Now,  the editor passes along the ratings and suggestions of the readers
> and the author now can make choice.  He can carry on publication with a low
> rating, or he can revise and resubmit to get a better rating.

This would be a nice evolution of the system we currently have.  If I
were the editor of an extant journal, I might find it attractive.  But
if I were to start an entirely new publication intent on revolutionizing
peer-review, I would be more inclined to adopt a multi-dimensional
rating system not based solely on number of stars.  Of course, there are
all sorts of compromises.  Perhaps the stars are colored according to
the domain expertise of the reviewer.  Or perhaps we have multiple
symbols for types of rating (innovation vs. clear communication vs.
scientific impact etc.).

> this led to another thought.  A group such as this one wouldnt need even to
> start its own journal.  It could just start a rating service of some other
> publication.  We could, for instance, start by rating JASSS and putting the
> ratings up on the web.  The trouble is we wouldnt be rating or seeing the
> articles that JASSS had rejected.  I suppose we could ask JASSS to send us
> all their rejected articles!

Actually, I'd like to see something like this for hubs like pubmed or
repositories like citeseer or the acm's digital library.  I wouldn't
want it to be publication-specific, though I might want it to be
domain-specific.

> I am probably too lazy to do anything like this, but I really like thinking
> about it.

[grin]  Oh ... uh ... what?  ... you were talking about actually _doing_
something?!?  Umm ... ok ... perhaps I'm in the wrong place... [patting
pockets, grabbing jacket, retreating from the room] ;-)

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com