Nick,

What a great idea. Makes reviewing like recommending, and it gives potential
readers a better sense of why someone liked or disliked an article.  It
really changes the nature of a journal. Rather than selectively publishing
only the well reviewed articles, everything would be published along with
their reviews. The value of a journal would even more depend on the people
they could get to do the reviewing.

It would make it more difficult to list one's "publications," though. Under
what circumstances would one say that a submitted paper had been accepted
and published?  I guess the journal could still go through its acceptance
process. A problem that occurs to me, though, is that often one submits an
article with the hope of getting useful comments and with the expectation of
having to re-write it.  How would those articles be handled? Would the
author accompanying the submission with a request not to have the article
and the reviews made public?

Also, I suspect that some reviewers would not want their entire reviews
published online. At least a portion of each review would have to be set
aside for the author only.

The more I think about it, the more complex but also the more promising it
becomes. A very interesting idea.

-- Russ