Gary is correct on the pron. and explanation of the pasty. The best ones are from a small restaurant in Virginia, MN on "da range" as they say. I understood these delectable treats actually started with the Welsh miners - something along the lines of the movie "How Green Was My Valley" (did I get the title correct?). And its been 32 years since I was in Virginia to eat one. The impression lasts....

Steph T

Gary Schiltz wrote:
You haven't lived until you've eaten a pasty (pronounced PAST EE, and not to be confused withthe minimalist apparel worn by certain "entertainers", so I've been told) on a -20 degree winter day in the upper great lakes region. One of the main ingredients is, of course, rutabaga. A pasty is sort of like a pot pie, folded over into a half moon shape. I've been told they originated with the miners of the region, as they were a complete meal that was easy to carry down into the mines. Some references: www.pastys.com <http://www.pastys.com>, www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm <http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm>. Mmm, make mine with gravy, eh?!
;; Gary