Owen,

What leads you to suspect that the CPU I/O noise is random?  The noise
generated by such comes from a chipset that operates at a given frequency,
which is powered by an AC source running at another frequency, filtered
through a power supply with capacitors, resistors, etc. with their own set
of time constant responses...

--Doug

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Marcus G. Daniels <mar...@snoutfarm.com>wrote:

> Owen Densmore wrote:
>
>> Most of computing does not need to be exact .. a slight "error" generally
>> is not terrible and for imaging, audio, and so on simply is not observable
>> by a human.
>>
> And if what you need is a *lot* of random numbers [1], why do dozens of
> cycles of exact arithmetic and memory lookups to make pseudo random numbers,
> if you could instead just read a vector of physical noise values from a CPU
> I/O port in a single cycle?
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org