Term contracts are like having a small business; the time is always up.  As
to humanity's Ph.Ds, I got one in Political Philosophy and Sociology just as
a major recession set in.  No jobs in the US at all as whole departments
were eliminated.  Only one in Nigeria. I had to totally retool throwing
everything I had done over 7 years in the trash. Do I regret it. NO.  Who is
lucky enough to pursue major questions and ideas for a sustained period that
are important enough to make a major sacrifice for?  I did it. Really
fulfilled a part of my life and I grew a lot.

Also, try being a freeway flyer professor which is a lot of what you're
talking about here as the NEW faculty. No benefits, no time to retool, no
money for conferences, no retirement, no intellectual protection or choice
(text selected for you for example), no nothing and then out the door.  50%
of the faculty in California are on this road to nowhere. University
politics are the shits, particularly from the bottom up.  But try the
realpolitk of trying to feed or educate people in state budget battles like
we have today.  Enough to give you nightmares and make you cry. Truly, as
some say, university politics are fighting over nothing.

And, yes I continue to research various issues of interest to me and publish
in academic journals though it makes no difference at all to my income, only
to my mental well being and to continue to adventure.  Oh, and I do try to
pull together academic researchers at universities to go after NSF money and
other funds to do research of interest to me including inventing new
products.  Not much luck so far.  But it's the constant retools and moving
into new policy areas that puts food on the table and grows my company.

Remember the promise of these time-4 to 7 jobs in a life time.  Yes, I would
take an academic position.  Yes, tenure is very, very important to think
free.

Gus

Gus Koehler, PhD., CEO

TSIlogo_30