Owen asked:

"I've never had Tenure. Does it really help?"

It would do, if academia didnt attract people who are so damned riskaverse.
But at least at Clark, it seemed that people were looking form
opportunities to have their freedom restricted.  And if you are looking to
be restricted, there are lots of excuses to be restricted in Academia.  For
instance,  you can do the research that you think will please journal
editors.  Or  you can only do research that you think federal agencies will
support.  Or research that university resources are being directed towards.
Or research that attracts graduate students.  Once the academic community
bit down on Academic Reaganism, everybody started evaluating one another on
how much money they were bringing in.  And, of course, the University did
all it could to encourage this sort of behavior.  It tried to regulate
faculty behavior with so-called merit raises .... George Orwell would have
been proud ... which, on average were hardly up to the standard of living.
In all my time there, I NEVER heard anybody stand up and say,  "F* this
crap: I am just going to do my thing"

So, in the end, I am not sure about tenure.  I think it made it possible
for me to relax a bit in midcareer, write on what I cared about,  and stand
up for things I believed in.  My family never suffered for my lippiness.
Well, not much anyway.  Consequently,  I am for it for me.  But then, I
dont work there anymore.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)