From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of
Nicholas Thompson [nickthomp...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:24 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The ghost in the machine (was 'quick question')

Dear Jochen,

What I am about to say will seem crazy and I certainly don't expect to
convince you.  At max, I might get you to try out the world from this
rather strange point of view, and see why somebody might explore it.

My basic position is that consciousness is an illusion.  I am not talking
"user-illusion" here or even  epiphenomenalism.  What I am saying is much
stronger and more obnoxious than either of those positions.   The best
metaphor I can think of is "the sun rising."  We all talk as if the sun
rises, but it doesn't, or at best, the statement, "the sun rises", relates
only in a vague way to the actual state of affairs.  Our belief that the
sun rises  get's its force not from the facts but from the enormous
authority of language, and other social arrangements. Consciousness is a
huge language game, which we violate on pain of being called crazy.

So what do I have to offer instead?  Well, nothing, actually.  I confess to
being as caught in the illusion as anybody else.   All I can say is that
the way we talk about consciousness verges seems not to make a lot of
sense, much of the time.

For instance, not only do we talk as if the conscious-actor can act on his
body, or through his body, on the world;  we also talk as if the
conscious-actor can act on his own mind, e.g.,   "make it up" like a
rumpled bed.  In these intra-mental transactions, who is the agent and who
the receiver of the action?  Only in talking about consciousness do we
allow the agent to act upon itself in such a profligate way.

An other oddity is our curious ambivalence concerning   third-person point
of view.  There are four billion people in the world, right?  When you and
I speak of any of those people, we take a third-person point of view.
Early in the conversation, we will make a decision, depending on our
metaphysics, concerning whether another person's consciousness is something
we have access to, or not.  Some will take the position that we never
REALLY can know what is in another person's mind.  We could, of course, ask
the agent, but the agent need not tell us the truth.  So we are stuck
because [scientific] knowledge of another's mind is beyond our reach.  For
such people, a scientific conversation concerning the true thoughts,
feelings, intentions, etc., of another person is not possible.

But what of people who don't hold to the primacy of the first person view.
With such people we can have a conversation about the true intentions of
another person, confident that we can get to the truth of the matter.  Was
OJ Simpson a murderer?  Don't ASK him;  look at the evidence.  Our legal
system is based on the notion that the intentions of an agent are something
that a jury of peers can assess.  In such circumstances, we are convinced
that we can invade the so called privacy of the mind.

But even people who grant their own powers to see the true intentions of
others, still grant themselves primacy in the determination of their own
behavior.  To that extent, we indulge ourselves in a dualism in which we
hold one theory that works for ourselves and another theory that works for
the other 4 billion people on earth.  And it is the personal  theory that
holds the most sway when called upon to talk about the relationship between
the "brain and consciousness."

Ok, so having confessed to all of that, please allow me to comment on your
letter below.  I will use CAPS, because it is a quick way to distinguish my
text from yours.  Owen will accuse me of SHOUTING, which I promise I am
not.  I am speaking in a teensy weensy voice.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)

THE BEST I CAN OFFER IS A PROCEDURE FOR ANSWERING THAT QUESTION, WHICH IS
TO FIGURE OUT HOW ONE WOULD GO ABOUT ANSWERING IT IN THE THIRD PERSON CASE.
I GRANT TO MYSELF ALL THE POWERS OF PERCEPTION THAT I GRANT TO ANY OTHER
HUMAN BEING, AND NO MORE.  SO, I AM PRESENT EVERYWHERE I GO, AND I SEE
MYSELF DO STUFF (ALTHOUGH MY POINT OF VIEW ON MY OWN ACTIONS IS UNIQUE).
MY INTENTIONS ARE A KIND OF STANDING IN RELATION TO THE WORLD AND MY
CONSCIOUSNESS IS A KIND OF STANDING IN RELATION TO MY INTENTIONS.  ALL OF
THIS IS AS EVIDENT TO OTHERS AS IT IS TO MYSELF, ASSUMING THAT THEY HAVE
BEEN AROUND ME AS MUCH AS I HAVE.

WHAT FOLLOWS IS METAPHYSICS OR ONTOLOGY OR BOTH.  I HAVE NEVER KNOWN THE
DIFFERENCE.  WHAT IS WRITTEN HERE REMINDS ME OF DESCRIPTION'S OF THE LEVELS
OF PURGATORY IN MILTON.  SURE, IT BEARS SOME VAGUE RELATION TO THE WORLD AS
WE KNOW IT -- OTHERWISE THE PASSAGES WOULD BE UNINTELLIGIBLE -- BUT
DESCRIBING THE WORLD AS WE FIND IT IS NOT THE PRIMARY IMPULSE OF THIS
WRITING.  THE PRIMARY IMPULSE, AS IN MILTON, IS TO DESCRIBE THE WORLD THAT
LIES BEHIND OUR SENSES ... THE WORLD AS IT REALLY IS.  THE AUTHORITY OF
SUCH CLAIMS LIES NOT IN IS DESCRIPTIVE POWER BUT IN ITS COALESCENCE WITH
ALL THE OTHER THINGS WE THINK WE KNOW, AND THOSE COME NOT FROM THE SENSES
BUT FROM LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY.

> I think the answer is maybe a complex interaction
> of several causal chains and circuits:

THE DECISION TO USE THE CURCUIT AND THE CHAIN METAPHORS IS AN IMPORTANT ONE
AND NOT ONE THAT IS WARRANTED BY THE ANALOG PARALLEL PROCESSING SYSTEM THE
BRAIN SEEMS TO BE.

> * There is causal chain from the outer world
>   to the brain and back (including the internal
>   stimuli-response or perception-action loop)
>
> * There is a causal chain inside the body
>   from the primary sensoric and motoric regions
>   of the brain to the corresponding body parts
>
> * There is a causal chain inside the mind from
>   the high-level level goals and abstract
>   intentions to the low-level actions and
>   concrete behavior patterns

NOTE HOW THE NOTION OF CAUSAL CHAIN IS METAMORPHOSING HERE.  HOW DOES A
GOAL CAUSE?  WE ARE FUSING BRAIN-TALK WITH LOGICAL ANAYSIS TALK.  IT MAKES
A KIND OF SENSE TO DO SO, BUT SO DOES ALL METAPHYSICS, AND METAPHYSICS DOES
NOT TELL US MUCH ABOUT HOW THINGS ARE IN EXPERIENCE.  .

> Now a mental thought occurred, a physical activity
> of the body happened, and afterwards we witness
> it. Has the mental thought triggered the physical
> action? The causal chain which preceeds a conscious
> action goes roughly like this
>
> WHAT FOLLOWS IS INDEED WHAT OUR LANGUAGE PRESUPPOSES, IN THE SAME WAY
THAT EQUIVALENT CONVERSATIONS ABOUT DEVELOPMENT PRESUPPOSED.  BUT, AS WE
ARE DISCOVERING WITH DEVELOPMENT, THE BODY DOES NOT BEHAVE LOGICALLY AND IT
CERTAINLY DOES NOT BEHAVE  EFFICIENTLY.   WASTE IS THE HALL MARK OF THE
DEVELOPMENTAL SYSTEM, BUILDING UP ONLY TO TEAR DOWN ARE REBUILD.

 The mind formulates a intention and selects a goal,
>   according to the current beliefs and desires
>   (for example "i want to reach a certain region")
>
> - The body is in a certain state and environment
>
> - The mind perceives the current situation
>
> - The mind triggers a certain action suitable for the
>   the current situation and the current goal

NO, I DISAGREE.  THIS IS NOT WHAT THE MIND DOES, IN ANY CASE.  THIS IS WHAT
YOU DO, AND IF I WATCH YOU CLOSELY, I CAN SEE YOU DODING IT.

> - The body is in a new state
>
> Here conscious action is possible through modulation
> of the causal chain from the outer world to the brain
> and back, which is described usually as a perceive
> -reason-action or belief-desire-intention loop.
> The illusion of downcard causation seems to arise
> through a fundamental attribution error and
> an interaction of several causal chains.
>
> There is also book named "The Self and Its Brain:
> An Argument for Interactionism" by Karl Popper and
> John C. Eccles which discusses a similar topic.

J.  THANKS FOR THIS EXCHANGE. I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS AGAIN.  OWEN WILL
NOT FORGIVE ME, BUT I THINK YOU WILL.  NOW i WILL RETURN TO ORDINARY TEXT.

Take care.  If you every were so idle and demented as to want to read
something I have written on the subject, you might try:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/id36.html

Nick

> -J.

Decartes