Jochen,

You put me in a terrible conflict.  On the one hand, you are one of three
people who has ever read that paper, so I want to thank you .... in fact, I
want to bound into your lap like a large St. Bernard puppy and lick your
face ... so filled with gratitude am I .  For most of us, academic writing
is a lonely trade.

On the other hand, I dont' THINK the paper says that.  Now, on my
understanding of mind, you are at least as good a judge of my intentions as
I am, and so I feel a rush of uncertainty as I say, "I never intended to be
... never have been?... a causal mentalist.  On my account, mind states
describe behavior, they dont explain it and they certainly dont cause it.

 I will reread the paper and see what I said.

But whatever the outcome of my rereading, thank you so very much for your
reading.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)