Robert,

Just FYI:  You did not get an answer to your question (other than mine,
FWIW).

Please keep pushing for one, though.  I want to hear the answer myself.
Don't let them bog you down in words.  Settle for nothing less than an
actual, concise, precise answer to your very concise, precise, and extremely
reasonable question.

--Doug

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Robert Holmes <rob...@holmesacosta.com>wrote:

> Wow, I post a question, go on a 6-hour hike and this is what I come back
> to...
>
> I still don't feel that I've got a straight answer to my question, other
> than Doug's (which I suspect is the most accurate) and Russ's (which I
> really hope isn't true). So let me try again: once I've established that a
> phenomenon is emergent by using a yet-to-be developed metric (Owen's
> formalism) or philosophic enquiry (Nick's & other's approach) - then what?
>
> In fact, let's not limit ourselves to the present situation (because I
> suspect that the current answer is simply "Nothing. Identifying emergence is
> an end in it's own right"). What would you *like* to be able to do once
> you'd attached the "emergent" label to a phenomenon? What's your best case,
> your grand vision? Imagine the best of all possible worlds and tell me: what
> would you want to be able to do once that "emergent" label gets attached?
>
> -- Robert

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org
d...@parrot-farm.net