Of course one of the many problems with (and perhaps benefits of) human languages is that they are incredibly imprecise and flexible. Obviously Russ A has at least a slightly different definition of science than that of Robert. We could debate the merits of each definition in our own particular world views, but that would take us down the same rat hole that we've witnessed lately with regards to emergence. According to my trusty OS X dictionary, science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment" (pretty much matches what I've usually seen as its definition). I've always considered science to be a way of approaching problem solving, i.e. "the scientific method" encompassed by the above definition. The method can be used regardless of one's motive of using it, e.g. greater understanding of some phenomenon in order to solve some "practical" problem, or greater understanding for the simple motivation of wanting to increase the extent of "human understanding."

;; Gary