Roger, Well said.

But there is a further question.  Can anything be added to your (Mill's)
statement that when you combine some things (e.g., combining a bunch of cows
into a herd) the result has properties that the components lack. That is,
what, if anything, can one say about those phenomena that exhibit this
property? Do those phenomena have anything in common?

My claim is that asking (and answering) that question is doing science --
according to Gary's definition of science as an activity. To the extent that
that activity yields statements that would qualify as scientific knowledge,
one then has advanced the state of our knowledge about nature, which is what
science is intended to do.

So that's what I would argue one should be doing when one is asking about
emergence: looking for and attempting to abstract and characterize the
common elements (if any) in all emergent phenomena.

-- Russ A