It's actually quite simple to me.  Phenomena are the outputs of
operators.  (Phenomenon means "to appear", it is perceived, observable.)
 By contrast, a property is inherent in the system and exists regardless
of any perspective (a.k.a stance) from which it may appear, be
perceived, or be observed.

Measurement (or, more generically, the application of an operator[*]) is
required for emergence.  Nothing can emerge unless it is the result of
some sort of measurement or, more specifically, observation.

So, to speak of emergent phenomena is uncontroversial, as Roger points
out.  But to speak of emergent properties is confused (unless you go
back and re-read what I've written before about circular causality).

* Note that I'm NOT requiring that the operator, operands, or results
require any type of observer, conscious or not.  I believe operators
would exist even if there were no life in the universe.

Thus spake Nicholas Thompson circa 09-10-12 03:50 PM:

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com