Thus spake glen e. p. ropella circa 09-10-12 04:41 PM:
>  By contrast, a property is inherent in the system and exists regardless
> of any perspective (a.k.a stance) from which it may appear, be
> perceived, or be observed.

Just to be clear, I get this (perhaps peculiar) definition of "property"
from the IE root per and entry VI(3)(b) in American Heritage's list of
IE roots:

"b. proper, property; appropriate, expropriate, proprioception,
proprioceptor, proprium, from Latin proprius, one's own, particular (<
pr prv, in particular, from the ablative of prvus, single; pr, for; see
V. 4.)."

Note that "proprioceptive" is VERY close to what I mean by circular
causality, the difference being that I think proprioception is totally
ordered in time with the order being applied by the "self", which is
doing the perceiving. When I talk about circular causality, I'm talking
about a system with inherent ambiguity like that achieved by parallel,
distributed systems that can reach deadlock.  Of course, what do I know
about things like proprioception?  Well, nothing, of course, which is
why this is all speculation on my part. ;-)

The POINT is that "emergent phenomena" makes total sense to me whereas
with my definition of "property", "emergent property" sounds like total
nonsense to me.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com