Nick, hi,

I can't really summon the energy to be part of the emergence thread,
but for this particular post, you may wish to keep an eye on
publications coming out from Flack, deWaal, Krakauer, and
collaborators including Ay and deDeo, on primate interactions.  They
have some very strong analysis showing that a very large component of
group power structure and the functions associated with it, such as
policing, is mediated by the response of individuals to dyadic
interactions between others, and very explicitly _not_ to merely the
members who participate in the dyads.  They have tested a variety of
p-to-q responses, and find a very strongly significant signal in the
1-to-2 response (i.e. individual responds to dyad), with higher-order
interactions apparently well explained by the composition of 1-to-2,
and an equally strong absence of signal for any of the other
elementary levels, or for any single strong explanatory excess of any
higher-order p-to-q above its dependence on the 1-to-2.

What I have said here is an oversimplification of a longer and more
complicated story involving several forms of interactions (fights,
subordination signals, etc.) with inter-related but distinct dynamics
and timescales, so I haven't done most of it justice.  I don't know
how much of the new 1-to-2 work is currently published or on the SFI
working paper list.  Some of the earlier papers explaining what
quantitative definitions they attach to the notion of power, and its
relation to policing and other group-coherence attributes, is out in
Nature and several behavior journals, and probably mostly available
from the authors' webpages.  All of this work is in various stages of
development, write-up, or submission, and some of it may be presented
in talks as the year wears out.  So one way or another it should be
available either now or soon.

Just a topic of interest as a bit of science.

All best, and I do find much of the larger argument interesting and
thoughtful,

Eric