There is a difference between Dennett and Baars,
Dennett says the theater metaphor is not useful
to understand consciousness. He argues in
"consciousness explained" what consciousness
is not: it is not happening in a Catesian theater
where a single person, the self, sits before a
large stage or screen and watches what happens.
It is always easier to say what something
is not (e.g. non-linear, non-equilibrium, etc.)
than to say what it actually is.

Baars says the theater metaphor is useful to
understand consciousness. He argues that
consciousness is like the bright spot cast
by the spotlight on to the stage of theater.
The other actors and those in the backstage
or in the audience represent the unconscious
elements. Dennett's theater is empty except
the little self sitting there, Baars' theater
is full of actors.

I was asking about the latter version of
the theater metaphor. Dennett writes about
it "for those who want to join the race
to model consciousness, this is the starting
line" (on the Back Cover of Baars' earlier book
"A Cognitive Theory of Consciousness"). Is it?
Does anyone agree?

-J.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicholas Thompson" <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>