Jochen

I am taking the liberty of moving our conversation into consciousness (See
Jochen's note below).  Perhaps the list can do a weekend seminar on it.

 thanks for the reference.  I have down loaded it, and now I must read it.

I confess I have done that snotty thing of looking in the references before
I read the article ... to discover that Baars does not reference either of
the pinacles of thinking concerning scientific metaphors, George Lakoff or
Mary Brenda Hesse.  I fear he will not have found Holt, nor even that guy
who imagines consciousness as the chart table on large tanker trying to
come into San Diego Harbor.  (and then tells us in detail about the
polynesians who conceived of navigation on the open water as a project of
moving stars and islands, out of sight over the horizon) (can anybody
remind me of who this was?)

There is an arrogance of working scientists who, when they reach a certain
stature in their fields, feel that they have earned the right to do
philosophy, even though they have read very little of it.  Something that,
for instance, they would never attempt with quantum mechanics or
meteorology. So, I am braced to be pissed off by Baars. I am made VERY
cranky by "cognitive scientists."

Somebody will now box my ears, and rightly, too.  russ?  I suppose I should
stipulate right away that I an not much of a philosopher myself, but a
philosopher-groupie, and that I am, in the bargain, a terrible scholar.
[sigh][sound of air leaking out of a good rant].

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)