On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Nicholas Thompson <
nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>  Does anybody have anything kind or unkind to say about Driver Detective
> for a year at 30 bucks.

My computer runs like doing aerobics in a swimming pool full of  molassas.
> DD's free scan says i have 59 out-of-date drivers and offers to fix them.  I
> assume that if I allow a piece of software to correct 59 drivers on my
> computer, the chance that it wont work when it is done are pretty high.

I've never seen a "free PC scan" that wasn't a scam, but maybe this one is
the exception.  Have you tried Windows Update to see if it has any suggested
driver updates?

And while I am asking smart people dumb questions, does anybody recommend
> online backup and if so which one.  Anybody know about the heavily
> advertized "carbonite" which goes for six bucks a month?

Funny you should ask, I just installed http://jungledisk.com last night, it
charges ($2.00 + $0.15/gigabyte) / month.  It will do backups of specific
folders or allow you to simply copy stuff to the cloud drive.  It bills
through your Amazon account and stores the data on Amazon EC2.

-- rec --