From: Roger Critchlow
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Sent: 11/13/2009 2:34:13 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] driver detective

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Nicholas Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Does anybody have anything kind or unkind to say about Driver Detective for a
year at 30 bucks.

My computer runs like doing aerobics in a swimming pool full of  molassas.
DD's free scan says i have 59 out-of-date drivers and offers to fix them.  I
assume that if I allow a piece of software to correct 59 drivers on my
computer, the chance that it wont work when it is done are pretty high.

I've never seen a "free PC scan" that wasn't a scam, but maybe this one is the
exception.  Have you tried Windows Update to see if it has any suggested driver
updates?

And while I am asking smart people dumb questions, does anybody recommend
online backup and if so which one.  Anybody know about the heavily advertized
"carbonite" which goes for six bucks a month?

Funny you should ask, I just installed http://jungledisk.com last night, it
charges ($2.00 + $0.15/gigabyte) / month.  It will do backups of specific
folders or allow you to simply copy stuff to the cloud drive.  It bills through
your Amazon account and stores the data on Amazon EC2.

-- rec --