On Feb 13, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Jochen Fromm wrote:

> In a recent washingtonpost.com article named
> "Erasing our innovation deficit" ( http://bit.ly/cG6vGW )
> Eric Schmidt said
>
> "We have been world leaders in [technological] innovation for generations. It
> has driven our economy, employment growth and our rising prosperity.
> [..] We can no longer rely on the top-down approach of the 20th century, when
> big investments in the military and NASA spun off to the wider economy."
>
> Do you agree? What kind of approach does the
> USA need to return to old strength?
>
> -J.

I'm surprised that none of the current/former SFIers on the list have mentioned
Brian Arthur's recent pitch for "combinatorial evolution" as the engine of
innovation.
As I read it, Brian's argument is that innovation is an epiphenomenon arising
from:

-- the functional modularization of many different kinds of technologies*, plus
-- the standardization of "open" interfaces enabling those functional
components or modules to be combined in different ways, plus
-- an environment that enables and incentivizes widespread experimental
combination of different technologies, e.g., by occasionally rewarding those
who come up with novel, useful combinations.

*These could be of the "hard" or "soft" variety, e.g., chip design or
double-entry bookkeeping.

So, on this account it would seem that both "top-down" as well as "bottom-up"
initiative is indispensable.
Bottom-up activities are the proximate cause and primary engine driving
innovation.
However, the size of that engine (e.g., the share of the total population
capable of participating constrictively in the combinatorial search) depends
substantially on the existence, scope, and openness/interoperability of those
modules and the standardized interfaces between them. Unfortunately, by their
very definition "standards" are a top-down phenomenon -- both because they are
never adopted with unanimous consent (but must be appx. universally binding
with a domain in order to work in that domain), and because they must remain
relatively stable over time, which means that for everyone that comes along
after the moment of standardization, they may feel like an "unjust," arbitrary
imposition.

In 2002, a quartet of prominent Internet standards developers published a paper
called "Tussle in Cyberspace" (link below), which made a broadly similar
argument about how the Internet has evolved. However, while mechanisms that the
Tussle authors describe are broadly similar, the tone seems quite different, to
me at least. The earlier paper seemed to be (obliquely) engaging a topical
issues that was just emerging around that time -- i.e., the aspirations of some
dominant Internet service providers to subtly alter and/or partially vacate
some of the standards that make the Internet "open" and thus had fostered the
Internet's rapid growth up to that time (note: today the issue is most commonly
called "net neutrality"). In that context, the Tussle paper seems to lean ever
so slightly past the domain of observation and Darwinian theory construction,
in the general direction of advocating the tussle process and the embrace of
whatever outcomes it yields, ala "social darwinism."

In any case, I think that any present US deficit in innovation can probably be
chalked up, at least in part, to the ongoing progressive deviation from our
most recent moment of optimal balance between those "top down" and "bottom up"
forces. Some of the biggest recent winners in the innovation game -- i.e.,
those who benefited most from the latest round of technical standardization --
have started exert their own top-down authority in ways that advance their own
private interests, but which collaterally degrade the environment for
future/distributed innovation...

(The question resonates for me because of the looming inflection point in
Internet protocol standards associated with the depletion of the IPv4 address
pool, which happens to be the stuff of my day job)

My own 0.02, +/-

Tom Vest

"Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow’s Internet"
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle2002.pdf