Thanks Stephen. I took no offense -- just wanted to announce my presence
on-list, and then to indulge in a little crotchetiness of my own ;-)

That said, but you should be careful what you wish for.
I've already visited Santa Fe 3-4x now, the first few times to attend
Swarm-related conferences at SFI while I was in grad school (c. 1995-1998).
Given the chance, I tend to find excuses to come!

Full disclosure: I no longer have any contractual relationship with CAIDA. I
was a fellow/advisor on economic and policy matter that affect Internet
protocol development, deployment, and usage from 2005~2007, and I continue to
work with CAIDA Director/PI KC Claffy less formally but fairly regularly ever
since. In fact KC and I were together on my last visit to Santa Fe in October
2007. We were invited up to chat with some of the SFI research staff and
fellows who were interested in the possible uses of Internet topology and flow
time series measurements to explore/exemplify some broader insights about
self-organizing systems that they were working on. I currently work as a
consultant, mostly to the technical coordination institutions that administer
Internet protocol number resources (i.e., the Regional Internet Registries, or
RIRs).

I don't think that there was much follow-up between SFI and CAIDA after that
meeting, but then at that time my own research of possible relevance was not
yet particularly well developed.
That has changed in the interim, perhaps to the point that it would merit a
talk. I'll follow up with a few details off-list.

Regards all,

TV
http://www.caida.org/home/staff/tvest/
http://www.ripe.net/info/ncc/staff/science_grp.html

On Feb 13, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Stephen Guerin wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> *These could be of the "hard" or "soft" variety, e.g., chip design or
>>> double-entry bookkeeping.
>>>
>>> So, on this account it would seem that both "top-down" as well as
>>> "bottom-up" initiative is indispensable.
>>> Bottom-up activities are the proximate cause and primary engine driving
>>> innovation.
>>> However, the size of that engine (e.g., the share of the total population
>>> capable of participating constrictively in the combinatorial search)
>>> depends substantially on the existence, scope, and
>>> openness/interoperability of those modules and the standardized interfaces
>>> between them. Unfortunately, by their very definition "standards" are a
>>> top-down phenomenon -- both because they are never adopted with unanimous
>>> consent (but must be appx. universally binding with a domain in order to
>>> work in that domain), and because they must remain relatively stable over
>>> time, which means that for everyone that comes along after the moment of
>>> standardization, they may feel like an "unjust," arbitrary imposition.
>>>
>>> In 2002, a quartet of prominent Internet standards developers published a
>>> paper called "Tussle in Cyberspace" (link below), which made a broadly
>>> similar argument about how the Internet has evolved. However, while
>>> mechanisms that the Tussle authors describe are broadly similar, the tone
>>> seems quite different, to me at least. The earlier paper seemed to be
>>> (obliquely) engaging a topical issues that was just emerging around that
>>> time -- i.e., the aspirations of some dominant Internet service providers
>>> to subtly alter and/or partially vacate some of the standards that make the
>>> Internet "open" and thus had fostered the Internet's rapid growth up to
>>> that time (note: today the issue is most commonly called "net neutrality").
>>> In that context, the Tussle paper seems to lean ever so slightly past the
>>> domain of observation and Darwinian theory construction, in the general
>>> direction of advocating the tussle process and the embrace of whatever
>>> outcomes it yields, ala "social darwinism."
>>>
>>> In any case, I think that any present US deficit in innovation can probably
>>> be chalked up, at least in part, to the ongoing progressive deviation from
>>> our most recent moment of optimal balance between those "top down" and
>>> "bottom up" forces. Some of the biggest recent winners in the innovation
>>> game -- i.e., those who benefited most from the latest round of technical
>>> standardization -- have started exert their own top-down authority in ways
>>> that advance their own private interests, but which collaterally degrade
>>> the environment for future/distributed innovation...
>>>
>>> (The question resonates for me because of the looming inflection point in
>>> Internet protocol standards associated with the depletion of the IPv4
>>> address pool, which happens to be the stuff of my day job)
>>>
>>> My own 0.02, +/-
>>>
>>> Tom Vest
>>>
>>> "Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow’s Internet"

>>> d...@parrot-farm.net
>>> 505-455-7333 - Office