On Feb 13, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:

What an interesting question!

Getting to an answer requires setting aside ALL ideology and doing a
comparative study, across history and national boundaries, on the
phenomenon of technological leadership.

Who knows, for instance, how the internet was developed? By Al Gore over
a latte, right!  That's top down.

By a handful of visionary guys at ARPA in the 1960s who were left alone to do it or fail. Failure was always a possibility.
 Do the following span some dimension of
interest:

Manhattan project

Very much top down as a project, though inspired by a small group of scientists who worried what might be happening in Germany.

Lanl's work on Energy
NSF 's call for proposals on, say, Dynamical Systems.

A response to what was originally a very bottom up phenomenon (if you consider scientists the bottom of anything).

Ordinary NSF Research Grants

Widely thought to be status quo stuff. Peer review by people who've already tried that and "know" it can't be done.

The human genome project

A topdown event until Craig Venter said, I can do it faster, better, cheaper. And did.

Ordinary professors fooling around in their laboratories.

Those days are much attenuated, if they're not gone. The amount of time it takes to raise research money is getting like raising money in politics. Jobs are fewer, so there's enormous pressure to achieve tenure.

In short, I don't think there's any one answer as to what encourages innovation, but there are several, and some of them are pretty obvious. A lot of work has been done on human networking--Silicon Valley thrived on bright people rubbing up together in bars after work, at PTA meetings, at whatever. Ditto Route 128. A culture that doesn't frown on risk, which means you can fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

We certainly know what discourages innovation, and it's squatting on our heads right now.