Wow, wait  a second,

If the object in motion has a group of followers I don't see emergence,
Remoras follow sharks or any other moving object, there is no dynamic social
system. My Wolfhounds follow rabbits, horses, snowmobiles, bicycles etc at
very high speeds. If they were displayed on a radar screen you might mistake
five wolfhounds as worshipful devotees of a single leader, running in
absolute terror. If they all came to a stop on the radar screen you might
surmise the group fell into disarray as the result of a leadership dispute.
Perhaps one might think there was a socially repressive regime at work when
the blips resolved as five instead of six, and the pace slowed down.

"Merle Lefkoff wrote:

Regardless of whether leaders act because of endogenous traits or a
circumstantial opening, they are indeed emergent throughout the system.
In human systems, however, unlike flocks, over-determined structures
suppress this emergent property of the system.  Rather than stepping
aside to allow emerging leaders to bring requisite variety to the
"flock",  elite hierarchies/patriarchies suppress distributed leadership
and generally prevail for long periods of time."

It looks like the first sign of legitimate "emergence" is the Hierarchy that
perceives the front man as a leader and attempts later to suppress it,
whether it is a leader or not makes no difference. The act of suppression
emerges complete based on its own belief system.

The belief system must have been in place prior to the flock being created,
the leader was accidental (Circumstantial) but suppression is truly
emergent, or is it?

Are we not talking about completely different behaviors and only one of them
is truly emergent? Am I just new to the wording, or am I missing something?

Dr.Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax