Steve , Vicki, and Honorable Lurkers,

I have tried to respond and seem to have entered an existential fog. Steve's
reply is almost identical to one I was preparing but trashed.

I pulled out a copy of Bertrand Russell's POWER and started poking around
again. We apparently have repeated much of his work with slight exceptions.

He looks at Power (over others) as if it is real and I still feel that it is
imaginary having looked at a long list of once powerful historical
personalities that just vanished from popular imagination. There was no
evidence that power was transferred any where to anyone. It just vanished
even before the being expired. He does use the term Power over Matter but
glances over it for the most part. I think that form of Power was easier to
understand and required less work. Power over others is very complex, but
neverthe less I still stand by my position that such power is illusionary .

I think much of the Power we attribute to individuals and organizations is
exactly the same as the adoration of movie stars. It comes and it goes. The
leaders are simply a reflection of the peasant mind state. Certainly the new
peasant enjoys designer fashions and Cancun Holidays but they are with us at
all times. They are superstitious and cruel and concerned with their own
appetites and not much else except on Sundays when they dress up and try and
impress one another.

I suspect that my interest is more to do with the way power is created, and
there I still maintain it is in the minds of the audience and is some
mixture of fear jealosy envy lust etc. What happens after the population
attaches it to an individual or organization is probably just as Russell
describes accommodating for time. Siszek talks about the hidden psychology
of followers and how they each have slightly different imaginings of the
power structure and its personal benefits to the follower.

That horrible kind of power we so fear is probably the offspring of fear. It
has many ways of manifesting itself but generally we as a society give so
much credence to fear that we literally allow people to escape justice
because they claimed to fear for their lives. Fear is a most powerful legal
defense. Even better than I was following orders. I feared I would lose my
job, I feared that I would be late for the baby sitter, I feared I would
lose my place in line. I feared I was going to be raped, I feared I was
going to be accused of rape. I feared someone would find out I was pregnant.
I fear that there was something wrong with my child. I feared that they
would find out I was gay. I feared they would find out that I had a Jewish
/Black/ Hispanic / Native mother. I feared he would hurt me. I feared he
would talk about me. I feared the moon would stop spinning and fall into my
kitchen. I feared that the world was coming to an end. I feared God would
find out I ate meat on a Friday. I feared so much I just could not remember
what happened.

I was so fearful of terrorists I voted for Rush Limbaugh.

 I feared ..and I expect sympathy and to be exonerated from the charges.

Too bad about the Dalai Lama he seemed like a decent guy but I doubt he ever
had enough power to fix even a flat bicycle tire. He is quite a character
but while the leaders of the world are generally very polite to him they
would not stick their necks out for his cause.

Dr.Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky

Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.

Winnipeg, Manitoba

CANADA R2J 3R2

(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax