Lists like this are always a bit odd. I got dressed down last night (gently but firmly) by a professor of English who couldn't believe that I thought Brothers K. was the most tedious thing I've ever read half of (couldn't drive myself to read the second half). I like other Dostoevsky--just not Bros. K.

I can't even name my own top ten favorites. It's such a fluid list . There are books I admire without loving, and books I love without being able to argue for their admirability. I deeply admire "Ulysses" by James Joyce, but love only parts of it (the parts that remind me of my Irish grandpa, plus a few other parts).

But certainly "Moby-Dick" (George Duncan and I re-read it this summer in a small group); certainly George Eliot's "Middlemarch," Anthony Trollope's "The Way We Live Now," and on the admirable-even-if-I- didn't-love-it list, "War and Peace," which I re-read last summer, and realized that Tolstoy was trying desperately to capture complexity as we know it now, but he didn't have the vocabulary nor the scientific insights to be able to understand that. But he knew *something* was afoot in the Napoleonic Wars, and it wasn't just Napoleon on the warpath.

Pamela