R -
So I take it that our working definition of "best" is "will look good on the coffee table and impress liberal arts graduates" rather than "will be read and enjoyed"? ;-)
I don't think that was the original question. Is it evidenced in some of the answers? Or is this just Doug spoofing your e-mail address? ;)

I assumed he was asking for "good storytelling with high quality writing and maybe some allegorical or other added value"

   And at the risk of it looking like I'm trying to impress liberal
   arts majors, let me add (well beyond 10 now)  Luis Borges -
   Ficciones (or Aleph)
   and
   Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude

Carry On!