From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of q...@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 7:19 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Best 10 Fictional Works

Greetings, all --

Great to see all the suggestions and conversations around them. One author
with a Santa Fe (and perhaps an SFI) connection not yet mentioned, I
believe, is Douglas Noel Adams (DNA). I'd recommend the Adams translation of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

As to creating a reading group, the pedagogical technique at St. John's
(sorry to be tedious) is to have the books lead the discussion, largely by
having a person designated to ask an "opening question" and then encouraging
people to focus on the text and have a conversation about it. After about
two hours, most folks are suffering from caffeine/nicotine withdrawal and
agree to discuss it further over a meal/scotch/cigarette. Works for us...

- Claiborne -