Hm. Luckily such a fiction-oriented crowd may be willing to tolerate several run-on sentences. Am in the middle of a family reunion and 80th birthday party, just time enough to jot ideas down- Couldn't avoid tuning in for the latest installments though.

Interesting to watch the mentioned books morph from the more expected - and asked for - fiction "as we know it" through Trollope and Menand ( a personal favorite of mine also) to Jane Roberts, and spanning several thousand years of classic and contemporary investigations of what it means to be human. We all sure love our books, for their intellectual and caloric content, both.

        Which leads me to wonder further at what fiction really means.

At some point 'fiction' becomes so influential to the development of its culture that it essentially twists time and ends up creating the future we move into. Becoming the seed of fact.
         In that case is it really fiction anymore?
Consider the immense impact on culture behaviours and therefore on history of the Greek tales. Consider also the generation or perpetuation of mythologies / religions, like several books that have been mentioned, from the Christian bible on down. Consider also the effect of Rodenberry et al on our global behaviours - although Star Trek and Star Wars were not books first, their impact - especially Rodenberry's, who I personally think was sent from another universe to nudge us gently back into an experiment with civility and away from xenophobia - on what the future may hold besides cold-war annihilation.
        There are more but the reunion brunch beckons....

        ?

        Tory
ps Also thank goodness to those who've mentioned non-western, non- male, non-white books. Put yourself in the other person's shoes and reread these posts.....