Steve Smith and Lee Rudolph, and everybody,

Why would I want a PhD to lead a discussion on Literature?

Because, even though I was a participant in the Berkeley dustup of the
sixties, I still think that expertise has its place in the world.   As those
of you who have participated in one of our Coffee House Seminars know, to me
leadership of a seminar is not lecturing and it is not laying a heavy hand
on the conversation.  But it is, perhaps, being able to call on a long
history of thinking about a subject  to suggest provocative materials and to
undermine any hastily arrived at consensuses.

Academia is not the only source of wisdom in the world by any means, but
among the many sources of wisdom, it contributes something special.

If any of you know of a retired or an underemployed literature professor, I
wish you would have them give me a call.

All the best,

Nick