From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of
Douglas Roberts [d...@parrot-farm.net]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 10:32 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] WikiLeaks, US Gov't prohibition, Corporate Boycotts, etc.

If you want to add your site to the (currently) 507 sites mirroring WikiLeaks,
just follow the instructions here:

http://www.wikileaks.ch/mass-mirror.html

--Doug

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Owen Densmore
<o...@backspaces.net<mailto:o...@backspaces.net>> wrote:
On Dec 6, 2010, at 1:15 AM, Steve Smith wrote:

As usual, nicely thought out and articulated.

For me its simple.  I like WikiLeaks and the counter pressure they bring to
bear. Not all corporations, politicians, militaries, labs, and so on are evil,
but lately they've been throwing their power around way too much. And WL helps
create a balance of power.

It is absurd to argue that WL is putting solders and others "at risk".  They
have been put there by their govt.

But I doubt Amazon and other ISPs feel they can afford the mess they'd get into
by offering WL an account.

So what to do? My first approach would be Peer to Peer.  That removes the
debate from the large and powerful to the citizenry.  Our first question then
would be "would I give 1% of my computer?". For me the answer is "yes".

OK then, how?  Well, the easiest would be Torrents. I'd simply subscribe to a
set of Torrents that were encrypted archives that the EFF (Electronic Frontier
Foundation) or WL would sponsor (RSS, name convention, etc).  This would
massively replicate the archives, making it pretty difficult to crush, yet not
"publish" the content in the clear until judged appropriate by WL.  We'd then
need to create a P2P web tech of some sort, possibly built on top of torrents,
to publish the material WL deems ready for the public.

I'd also ask EFF to vet WL. Why? I have several friends associated with them,
and although a bit on the fringe, I think they'd do a good job of calibrating
WL, and possibly keeping them within bounds of sanity.  If not EFF, then
Lawrence Lessig.

Let the people decide!

   -- Owen