From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 9:55 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] WikiLeaks, US Gov't prohibition, Corporate Boycotts,
etc.

On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Robert Holmes wrote:

> This is an interesting and-IMHO-nicely balanced piece. It's all shades
> of grey, man -- R
>
> http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2010/12/wikileaks-and-the-long-haul/

Hard to argue with Clay's point that a balance of power, with clear and just
laws, define the boundary of freedom of information.  But note how he is
also clear that we have no such balance, nor reasonable laws.

This is the age of populism, from the Tea Party to Libertarianism, to now a
free and open (and responsible) internet.

I am interested in hearing nuanced discussions.  But no longer amongst
politicians.  Or power brokers and industries.  They have lost their place
and squandered their right to lead.  Its us now.  This includes Lessig and
Shirky and others of their ilk like Kevin Kelley and Tim O'Reilly; sites
like the Edge and TED; organizations like EFF, Berkman and the Creative
Commons.  And I hope ourselves.

But for now, I want to, much like Lessig, understand what our digital rights
are, and what they should be.  For the latter, we need to start doing things
such as building our own networks and services. Like wikileaks mirrors.

   -- Owen