Thanks, Everybody,

It Was Barry Commoner, in a three article series in the NY-er beginning Feb
2, 1976, called "Energy".

And it does have a long and loving account of entropy.  I still haven't been
able to read it because the archive system is hostile to ordinary mortals,
but I will let you all know if it is as good as I remember it being.  My
especial gratitude to Carl Tollander, Jonathan Barker, and John Kennison,
who helped me look, and to Renata Golden, who found it.

What threw me off the scent was that Commoner wrote a book, a few years
earlier on a closely related topic, that does not mention entropy once!

Nick