Fascinating! Does this take us arrogant human's down a notch?

I must object though to the conclusion that the water flee has the most genes,
followed almost immediately by the admission that we don't know much about the
genome of most organisms. Why can't they just say "The most gene of any known
species"? (or "species we know about the genes of")

Eric

On Fri, Feb  4, 2011 10:33 AM, "Nicholas  Thompson"
<nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
>

>Message: 2
>From: National Science Foundation Update <<#>>
>Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:47:36 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: The Most Genes in an Animal? Tiny Crustacean Holds the Record
>

><http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=118530&WT.mc_id=USNSF_51&WT.mc_ev=click>
>
>Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:12:00 -0600

>Scientists have discovered that the animal with the most genes--about
>31,000--is the near-microscopic freshwater crustacean Daphnia pulex, or water
>flea.
>

>By comparison, humans have about 23,000 genes. Daphnia is the first crustacean
>to have its genome sequenced.
>

>The water flea's genome is described in a Science paper published this week by
>members of the Daphnia Genomics Consortium, an international network of
>scientists led by the Center for Genomics ...
>

>More at
><http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=118530&WT.mc_id=USNSF_51&WT.mc_ev=click>

>Nicholas S. Thompson

>Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology

>Clark University

><http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/>

><http://www.cusf.org/>

Eric Charles