Jochen Fromm " What would be needed to reconstruct a mind?"

I had to respond, I suspect a kind of Koan content to the question.
Reconstruct  or Construct?? Since the latter does not seem to have occurred
historically I am not sure the former is possible at this time.

Then I bumped into one of Hume's references. "The mind is a theatre.."
Basically a picture show of unrelated images played out and given a meaning
from some arbitrary emotional reservoir.  If the mind is basically
irrational and built upon a set of compulsions for emotional gratification
then perhaps it is not unlike a flock. Each picture wishes to be the center
of attention providing links to emotional rewards.

Lucien Goldmann, being very clever and linguistically obtuse seems to
suspect that the class consciousness of Heidegger, Lukacs and Marx is not
actually real and some how still depends on the acts and thoughts of
individuals(he does not actually come out and deny group consciousness but
he certainly goes a long way toward dismantling the concept) . If a class
consciousness while apparently real to us is an emergent phenomena defying
easy explanation( or even proof of existing) perhaps our minds are also  an
assembly of individual emotional entities the whole of which is equally
elusive of definition. I am Only thinking out loud.

I have been struggling to understand 20th century European philosophers and
the complex language, is a problem for me . But My intuition suggests that
they were struggling to define a Mind from a perspective that kept shifting.
Flocks are not sentient so they are simple by comparison to Minds but they
may be usefully  analogous.  The thread of the moderns is that two distinct
realities seem to exist for the mind, the one fabricated from the senses and
the other outside and beyond immediate perception.

So is a mind a machine flipping through random images attempting to
construct a self gratifying Narrative to explain away each and every obvious
contradiction introduced by flawed perception? Perhaps literature gives us a
window into the way we construct individual realities, if each mind finds
difficult contradictions then perhaps literature provides temporary
solutions in favour of simple magical explanations. Is it possible to build
a mind on such simplistic foundations and then perhaps we can reconstruct a
mind that is less dependent on self gratification.  Funny that in some way
the addiction to emotional rewards is every bit as crippling as a drug
addiction which simply intensifies the effects of the original.

It is interesting that philosophers from prior to the French revolution have
been focused on Group and Individual properties and attempting to
rationalize these unknowns. We have often attributed to the Group a mind as
if it were an individual, Hobbe's Leviathan is perhaps the first clear
presentation of the idea.  We seem to suspect that examination of groups
will produce insight into individual minds.

As for the question regarding the number of memes, I will back off not being
certain that even Dawkins knew for certain what he had exposed. If class
consciousness does not exist except in some action then perhaps emergent
behaviour requires some more discussion and clarification. Especially when
dealing with living sentients.

Miraculously I made it through years of education without any exposure to
philosophy or humanities and only in old age do I have the patience to
persevere.  I must admit I once arrogantly mocked such pursuits. I now
regret my past in large part.

So shall we begin by Building a Theatre (akin to Hume's) and supplying it
with images(Props) and then allow the director and stage manager to appear
then a script writer to make sure each performance is consistent(A number of
agents coupled to form a single entity akin to Hobbe's Leviathan)? . It
looks like a number of Auto Agents  forced to cooperate, however we can not
distinguish if it is mindlike until it produces something.  That seems to be
a problem, what would it have to produce before we accept that some Mind
even exists.? That evidence we need would seem in some way a little like
Praxis, an effect upon the world akin to Lucien Goldmann  and Georg Lukacs'
use of the  ideas. Further more the programming of the Agent constituents
would now seem to qualify in some way as equivalent to Dawkin's memes. The
meme does not appear to be an established concept within the recent
philosophical theses. That is not the only oddity I have noticed, the other
is a slow acceptance of feedback loops creating complexity. Marx seems to
venture into such ideas only marginally but considering the time in which he
wrote he must have been seriously handicapped in the available language
tools. ( I am not a Marxist,  just curious)  However with careful reading I
think there has always been passages alluding to complexity before the idea
was given full acknowledgment. Complexity lurks deep in philosophy. There
were references to Lukacs in Goldmann's work that sound as if he knew
exactly how to arrange various Agents to achieve social transformations.
There is a curious mention of Groups requiring an external member loosely
associated for the purpose of a global perspective while the majority are
focused on tasks at hand. The loosely associated agent can steer the group
and deliver it new knowledge(Memes) which the group can rapidly assimilate
and manifest as concrete reality through action. There is some
acknowledgement about the instability and lifespan perhaps someone has more
insight into these issues.  I am not a philosopher and venture to say that
nothing I say could be trusted in the least. But if others in this group
poke around a bit perhaps we can build some understanding( I hope deeply).

I appreciate your tolerance of my musings, I would prefer sitting beneath a
Linden tree and drinking German beer. Bertrand Russell never quite knew how
to regard the Heidegger line of thinking and mentions them almost
dismissivly and quickly moves on to beating upon  Existentialists, but that
was a different era.   I suspect that if Complexity Theory had been around
earlier the entire line of Western Philosophy would have changed.

What would be needed to reconstruct a mind?

-J.