Russ,
Good questions. I'm hoping Nick will speak up, but I'll hand wave a little, and
get more specific if he does not.

This is one of the points by which a whole host of conceptual confusions enter
the discussion of evolutionary theory. Often people do not quite know what they
are asserting, or at least they do not know the implications of what they are
asserting. The three most common options are that "the species evolves", "the
trait evolves", or "the genes evolve". A less common, but increasingly popular
option is that "the organism-environment system evolves". Over the course of
the 20th century, people increasingly thought it was "the genes", with Williams
solidifying the notion in the 50s and 60s, and Dawkins taking it to its logical
extreme in The Selfish Gene. Dawkins (now the face of overly-abrasive-atheism)
gives you great quotes like "An chicken is just an egg's way of making more
eggs." Alas, this introduces all sorts of devious problems.

I would argue that it makes more sense to say that species evolve. If you don't
like that, you are best going with the multi-level selection people and saying
that the systems evolve. The latter is certainly accurate, but thinking in that
way makes it hard to say somethings you'd think a theory of evolution would let
you say.

Eric

On Mon, May  9, 2011 06:25 PM, Russ Abbott <russ.abb...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm hoping you will help me think through this apparently simple question.>

>When we use the term evolution, we have something in mind that we all seem to
understand. But I'd like to ask this question: what is it that evolves?

>We generally mean more by evolution than just that change occurs--although
that is one of the looser meaning of the term. We normally think in terms of a
thing, perhaps abstract, e.g,. a species, that evolves. Of course that's not
quite right since evolution also involves the creation of new species. Besides,
the very notion of species is <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/>.
(But that's a different discussion.)

>Is it appropriate to say that there is generally a thing, an entity, that
evolves? The question is not just limited to biological evolution. I'm willing
to consider broader answers. But in any context, is it reasonable to expect
that the sentence "X evolves" will generally have a reasonably clear referent
for its subject?

>An alternative is to say that what we mean by "X evolves" is really "evolution
occurs." Does that help? It's not clear to me that it does since the question
then becomes what do we means by "evolution occurs" other than that change
happens. Evolution is (intuitively) a specific kind of change. But can we
characterize it more clearly?

I'm copying Nick and Eric explicitly because I'm especially interested in what
biologists have to say about this.

> >-- Russ

Eric Charles

Professional Student and