A couple of other questions then:
What is devolution? Is that a legitimate word in this discussion, if not why not, etc
and
Does evolution really just mean change, and if so why is there a different word for it?
ie:
If evolution means 'positive sustainable change' who is deciding what is positive and sustainable?

One could argue that aspects of human neurological evolution have 'evolved' a less-sustainable organism, or at least a very problematic or flawed design. The internal conflicts between different areas of the brain, often in direct opposition to each other and leading to personal and large-scale destruction: is that evolution? if so why, etc Just because we can find out where in our genes this is written, does that mean it is good?
There is often a confusion between description and purpose.

I'd vote for option C, in Eric's paragraph below: ultimately it must be "the organism-environment system evolves" or there is an upper limit to the life-span of a particular trait. Holism is the only perspective that holds up in the long term.

This is another one of those FRIAM chats that brush against the intangible. We sure do sort by population here, and we evolve into something new in doing this. I am changed for the better by reading and occasionally chiming in, sharpening my vocabulary and writing skills in this brilliant and eclectic context.
I determined evolution there. Does a radish get the same thrill?

Oh, my taxa are so flexed I have to send this off. Thanks for the great phrase, NIck-

Victoria