From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:42 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Grand Design, Philosophy is Dead, and Hubris

BTW: voting doesn't count: Arrow's Impossibility Theorem.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

For my homework in philosophy (and sins in life), I've been observing a
modern philosopher, who I enjoy, giving a series of lectures.

    http://www.justiceharvard.org/

The discussion has been on fitting schools of philosophy to events in human
life.

The current (second video, 4th lecture) is on Utilitarianism.  In
particular, on how to derive a utility function especially when human life
is at stake.  The initial readings are on Jeremy Bentham.

Listening to the students, who are the foil, so to speak, for the speaker,
the major problem is how to assign a number, say a dollar figure, to the
worth of things that are not generally sold .. such as human life or whether
or not it is even possible.

Fascinating historic examples include the risk-benefit analys of smoking in
the czech republic (it gained the government $1,200+ per premature death)
and the Ford Pinto exploding fuel tank ($130 million to fix vs $45 million
in losses, including human life).

It occurred to me that it was yet again a difficulty of mathematics.  The
assumption of both the audience and the speaker, at least at this point in
the series, is that all "numbers" have a metric, which of course we know is
only an interesting subset of say vector spaces.

So how was it that an entire school of philosophy, one with great adherents
and even a really rational outlook, fail to understand that not all
"numbers" have a metric?  That high dimensional spaces do not include
comparison functions?

   -- Owen