As I have said before, I don't think go read the book is ever an appropriate
response.  One can choose not to participate, one can suggest books to be
read, but I dislike the idea that one has to read the reading list before
one can post a question to the friam list.  But you all already know that.

From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Robert Holmes
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:44 AM
To: Owen Densmore
Cc: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Grand Design, Philosophy is Dead, and Hubris

Owen-I'm afraid that scientists & engineers like us have occasionally got to
be on the receiving end of "go read the book" comments just as much as
non-scientists who want to know about vortex formation...

The contemporary utilitarians who are writing about this stuff include
Judith Lichtenberg, Michalel Slote and Michael Stocker. Ones with a more
theoretical bent include Peter Railton, Samuel Scheffler and Shelly Kagan.
Google Scholar has links to their work.

-R

P.S. "The paradigm case of consequentialism is utilitarianism" says
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consequentialism/. You many need to expand
your search terms!