Owen,

I finally found your answer.  Sorry!  It was, in part,

But from any direct experience, people appear to believe To Philosophize ==
To Argue Incessantly.

I don't know which people you have in mind.   I am sorry that you have met
people like that who have claimed to be philosophers.  Certainly none of the
philosophers I have known or worked with have engaged in argument for
argument sake.  Whoever believed this about philosophers confused sophistry,
or casuistry,  or pure bloody mindedness, with philosophy.   A philosophical
argument is not a harangue.  It is an attempt to rigorously connect premises
with conclusions, to work out the implications of what one thinks or to
discover from what premises one might come to think it.  As I keep trying to
say (sorry, everybody, for the repetition) , philosophy is a lot like
mathematics.  The good news is that it  can talk about a lot more things
than can mathematics; the bad news is that inevitably it talks about them
with less rigor.

Nick